You could jailbreak the iPod Touch 2G (Non MC model) on iOS 4.0.2 using Redsn0w, but no new jailbreak tool versions have been released to jailbreak the iPod Touch 3G on this firmware at the moment. So if you have updated your device to iOS 4.0.2, you could downgrade it to recover the jailbreak.Â
Here are the instructions to downgrade iPod Touch 2G/3G 4.0.2 to iOS 4 or lower.
NOTE : This guide is only for those who have saved SHSH to the Cydia Server.
1. Download the firmware file to which you want to downgrade your iPod Touch to, that is, if you want to downgrade iPod Touch 2G/3G 4.0.2 to iOS 4, then download iOS 4 firmware.
2. The second thing to do is to edit the Hosts file.
â€¢ Open Notepad with administrator privileges. Right click in its icon and choose â€ Open as Administrator â€œ.
â€¢ Navigate to C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc in Notepad and open the Hosts file.
â€¢ Add â€ 184.108.40.206 gs.apple.com â€ at the end of the file and save the file.
In Mac OS X
â€¢ Navigate to Go->Go to Folder and enter â€ /etc â€œ.
â€¢ Using TextEdit, open up the Hosts file.
â€¢ Add â€ 220.127.116.11 gs.apple.com â€ at the and of the document, choose Save As, uncheck â€ If no extension is provide, use .txt â€ and save the file on the desktop.
â€¢ Replace the original Hosts file with the new one.
3. Now connect your iPod Touch to the computer.
4. Select your iPod Touch 2G/3G in iTunes.
5. Now enter into recovery mode by pressing the power and home buttons for 10 seconds and then release the power button but keep holding the home button until iTunes recognize your device in recovery mode.
6. Now hold the Shift Key in Windows or the Option Key in Mac OS X and click on the Restore button.
7. Browse to the required iOS 4 or 3.1.3 firmware file and select it to downgrade your iPod Touch firmware to that.
8. Now exit recovery mode ( For this, you could use a software called â€ Recboot â€) and reboot your iPod Touch.
Thatâ€™s it! Now your iPod Touch 2G/3G will be downgraded to the required firmware.