As the Dev Team released the Redsn0w 0.9.8b1 for Mac OS X, the iOS developers who have access to the iOS 5 Beta IPSW can use it to jailbreak iOS 5 Beta on Mac. Only do this if have the original iOS 5 beta stock firmware with you, else you won’t be able to complete the jailbreak on your device.
Some Points To Look Into
- Redsn0w 0.9.8b1 supports all iOS 5 supported devices except the iPad 2.
- It is a tethered jailbreak.
- iOS 5 will update your baseband. So unlocking your iPhone isn’t possible at the moment.
- Many stuffs like the MobileSubstrate Apps, Cydia Apps etc are broken.
Things You’ll Need For The Jailbreak
Do read : What’s New In iOS 5
How to Jailbreak iOS 5 Beta On Mac With Redsn0w 0.9.8b1
1. Update your device to iOS 5 Beta using iTunes and the IPSW.
2. Now extract the downloaded Redsn0w zip file and launch the application.
3. Browse to the iOS 5 Beta IPSW file you downloaded earlier and click Next.
4. Now, choose the options you need (” Install Cydia ” option is a must one, so make sure you have checked the box to the left of that option).
5. After making sure that your device is plugged in and is switched off, click Next.
6. Now, simply follow the on screen instructions to enter DFU mode and finally wait for the process to finish.
After your device reboots, you can find Cydia on your screen.
NOTE: Since it is a tethered jailbreak, you’ll have to use the ” Just boot tethered right now ” option once you switch on your device later to carry on with the jailbreak.
Subscribe to Tips Needed for more jailbreaking tutorials!