Using Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9 is a bit different from that of using the Sn0wbreeze 2.5 and PwnageTool 4.3 tools used for the same purpose of jailbreaking the iOS 4.3.1 untethered. The difference is that, when using redsn0w 0.9.6RC9, first your device is updated to original iOS 4.3.1 firmware and then it is jailbroken, while in the case of the other two tools, the jailbroken firmware is only restored to the device.
As a result, if you jailbreak iOS 4.3.1 with redsn0w, if you are having an iPhone with an unlock, you will lose the unlock. So if you want to preserve the baseband and retain the unlock, then it is best to use our Sn0wbreeze 2.5 guide(Windows users) or our PwnageTool 4.3 guide(Mac users).
Else, if you are having devices like an iPad or iPod Touch, or if you are having iPhone in which you don’t need the unlock, then you can proceed with Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9.
How to Use Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9
2. Update to iOS 4.3.1 using iTunes. If you are new to it, I’ll explain. Open iTunes, select your device, hold the shift key (Windows) or the Option key (Mac) and click on ” Restore “. Now choose the iOS 4.3.1 IPSW file.
4. Run the Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9 tool and browse to the iOS 4.3.1 IPSW file.
5. After the IPSW is identified, click Next.
6. Now choose the options you need. For example, you could choose the custom boot logo option and choose an image to be placed as the boot logo.
7. After you’ve done that, click Next.
8. Make sure your device is plugged in to the computer and is switched off and then click Next.
9. Now, follow the on screen instructions to enter into DFU mode.
10. Now, the final step! Wait till redsn0w ends the process! :) and when the device reboots, you’re done!