The next version of redsn0w, the 0.9.6 beta, have been released by the Dev Team to jailbreak iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G on iOS 4.1. Earlier also many jailbreak guides were floating around, but this is an official release by the Dev Team, so no worries. But this Redsn0w 0.9.6 will update your baseband leading to loss of current unlock. So until and unlock is released, it is better to stay away if you still need the unlock.
Follow the steps given below to jailbreak iPhone 3G on iOS 4.1 using redsn0w 0.9.6.
1. Download Redsn0w 0.9.6 beta from here.
2. Download the iOS 4.1 firmware for iPhone 3G from here.
3. Update your iPhone 3G to iOS 4.1 using iTunes.
4. Launch Redsn0w 0.9.6 and browse to the iOS 4.1 firmware file.
5. Check the â€ Install Cydia â€ box and click â€ Next â€œ.
6. Now switch off your device but keep it plugged in to the computer.
7. Now go into recovery mode by pressing the power and buttons for 10 seconds and then release the power button, but keep holding the home button until the iPhone 3G iOS 4.1 jailbreak process begins.
8. Now wait till Redsn0w jailbreak your iPhone 3G running iOS 4.1 firmware.
After the jailbreak, it will automatically restart and you will find your iPhone 3G completely jailbroken on iOS 4.1 firmware.