Dev Team released the Redsn0w 0.9.7 beta 1 for Mac OS X to jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 (untethered) on the fourth generation devices – iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4G and iPad. The ‘ backup plan ‘ with redsn0w 0.9.7 b1 is not that easy to implement. So be careful along the jailbreak process. Dev Team have mentioned the following word of caution in their blog :
Right now, the “backup plan” requires that you have the 4.2b3 IPSW on your Mac, and that Cydia has your 4.2b3 SHSH hashes. Please don’t pirate that 4.2b3 IPSW!
Along with this note, take care of the below points also :
- This is a beta tester program. It’s not a general release! Things can go very wrong, so please don’t even consider testing if you have pictures or other media on your device that you haven’t backed up!
- For the same reason, please don’t participate if you rely on the ultrasn0w carrier unlock. Wait for the final version!
- Until we fix some sandbox issues with bluetooth, the bluetooth functionality is disabled.
- This very first beta1 is limited to iPhone4, iPad, and iPod touch 4G.
- Cydia must have your 4.2b3 SHSH blobs saved on file. (As we approach a general release, we’ll provide a way to let you use locally saved hashes too).
- You must already have the usbmuxd software installed and running on your Mac (this requirement will eventually go away too). The correct invocation of the relay is just as that page says: “./tcprelay.py -t 22:2222”. If the relay isn’t installed or running correctly by the time the redsn0w ramdisk has started, you’ll need to restore to stock FW again to try it again. Please test it beforehand to save yourself some time!
If everything with the above notes is ok with you, go forward, else it is better to stay away.
NOTE : I am again mentioning. The iOS 4.2 b3 SHSH blobs should be saved in Cydia for this to work.
1. Jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 on your device using this guide.
2. Download Redsn0w 0.9.7 from here.
3. As said in the above note, download and extract usbmuxd.
4. Now launch terminal in python-client directory and enter the following commands.
chmod +x tcprelay.py
./tcprelay.py -t 22:2222
5. Download iOS 4.2.1 IPSW for your device if you don’t have it from here.
6. Using redsn0w 0.9.7 b1, point to the iOS 4.2.1 IPSW.
7. Now click Next and then choose Jailbreak Monte option and then choose the iOS 4.2 b3 firmware file.
8. Now switch off your device but keep plugged in to the computer and click ” Next “.
9. Now go into DFU mode by pressing the power and buttons for 10 seconds and then release the power button, but keep holding the home button until the iOS 4.2.1 jailbreak process begins.
10. Wait till Redsn0w finish the iOS 4.2.1 jailbreak process.
Stay tuned to Tips Needed for more updates and jailbreak/unlock guides!